Founded at an impromptu meeting of Nordic semioticians in Imatra, Finland, in 1987, the Nordic Association for Semiotic Studies (NASS) has organised six important and highly successful congresses, in Odense, Denmark, in 1990, in Lund, Sweden, in 1992, in Trondheim, Norway, in 1994, in Imatra, Finland, in 1996, in Oslo, Norway, in 1998, and in Copenhagen, Denmark, in 2000. An Internordic Symposium also took place in Imatra in 1990, and week-long Nordic Research Courses were organized in Lund, in July 1992, in Trondheim, in October 1994, in Imatra in June 1996, and in Oslo in June 1998, and November 2000, in Copenhagen. The most recent congresses were held in May 2011 in Lund, Sweden (see picture below), and in May 2013 in Aarhus, Denmark. The 2015 conference, NASS IX, will be held in Tartu, Estonia, August 17-20th 2015.
The current board of NASS (2013-2015) counts the following members (Ordinary Representative listed first, then Supplementary Representative):
- DENMARK: Luis Emilio Bruni (*President) + Søren Brier
- ESTONIA: Timo Maran + Riin Magnus
- FINLAND: Ahti-Veikko Pietarinen + Tommi Vehkavaara
- ICELAND: Bergljót Kristjansdóttir + Sigrún Margrét Guðmundsdóttir
- NORWAY: Morten Tønnessen (*Secretary) + Torill Strand
- SWEDEN: Sara Lenninger (*Treasurer) + Aleksei Semenenko
The board has appointed Inesa Sahakyan as NASS’ Organizational Assistant.
NASS representatives in The International Association for Semiotic Studies – Association Internationale de Sémiotique (IASS-AIS): Luis Emilio Bruni and Morten Tønnessen.